I have been having a discussion regarding the Shape Water cantrip from the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion. A friend and I are trying to come to an accurate view of how this spell actually functions.
Some example questions:
- Must the targeted water be within a 5 foot cube area, or does it need to be of a volume not exceeding 125 cubic feet?
- If you shape water that is within a 5 foot cube, can the final shape you animate it to extend outside the cube?
- Can you cause the shaping to affect ice and snow, or only liquid water?
- Would you be able to carry a globe of water alongside you over distances?
Really, there are two parts:
- What can be targeted by the spell?
- What are the limitations on the ‘shape and animate’ portion of the spell?
The answer I am looking for, if possible, would use the language of the spell, possibly with precedent from other game text, to clearly define the limitations of this cantrip.